Trio Motion Technology is a world leader in industrial motion controllers. Their expertise has been built around microprocessor based hardware running a version of the BASIC language with a specialised, highly functional set of motion commands.
Since around 2005, Trio’s customers were asking for the IEC 61131-3 standard language to be provided as an option. After researching the market and testing 2 IEC 61131-3 products, Trio decided to include the STRATON AUTOMATION version of IEC 61131-3:
- Trio uses more than one microprocessor type so the user’s runtime code must be processor independent.
- Programs execute in a fast and efficient way.
- Easy creation of a library of Trio’s motion functions.
- User interface integrated into Trio’s Motion Perfect programming software to give users a single unified programming environment.
- The IEC 61131-3 runtime fits inside the Trio Multi-tasking operating system so that multiple languages can run together.
Trio’s new MC4 range of Motion Coordinators was brought to the market place in 2009 and the IEC 61131-3 functionality added in 2010. The MC4 has been the most successful series of Motion Coordinator products sold by Trio to date. Sales have been aided by having the standard IEC61131-3 language as an option in every product.
Providing customers with the option of using IEC 61131-3 allows Trio’s traditional customer base to continue with Trio BASIC while at the same time giving a growing number of programmers the ability to write their code in the standard IEC 61131-3 languages. The IEC 61131-3 includes Trio’s powerful and easy to use motion function blocks, thus allowing motion programmers to quickly convert from BASIC to the new standard languages.
- Integration with Trio’s MotionPerfect version 3 programming software
- STRATON AUTOMATION’s straton programming tools were included as part of MPv3
- Addition of Trio’s special motion function block library
- Runtime environment is available for all processor types used by Trio
- IEC programs compiled to intermediate code still run very fast
- IEC 61131-3 programs needed to fit in with the Trio Multi-tasking environment
- Bindings to the established I/O and global variables were needed
- Allows users to run their traditional BASIC programs and the IEC 61131 at the same time.
More information: www.triomotion.com